Today, I am taking the material from Jesús Terrés. He is a Spanish writer for GQ, Vanity Fair, and other magazines, who I particularly like. He used to have a blog in GQ called Nada Importa (Nothing Matters). This newsletter is based on his Reglas Nada Importa (The Rules of Nothing Matters), and I have essentially compiled the list of my 30 favourites out of 100 rules. You can visit the full list here (Spanish only!).
1) If you can’t give, don’t ask.
2) Excess before moderation.
3) Either yes, or no. Those I don’t know, you can shove them up your… (censored!)
4) Flee from severity. From big headlines, intensity, and waving your f*ing righteousness around. Conquer the simple.
5) Wanting is not the same as being able. Being able is being able, and it has very little to do with wanting.
6) If you throw the stone, the hand must follow. Throwing a stone and hiding the hand is for brats.
7) Whatever is not signal, is noise.
8) Those who are truly worth it, always add.
9) The best, or nothing. The famous Mercedes slogan must be applicable to every single corner of your life. The best, or nothing.
10) Actually, there is no damn hurry.
11) You must get your feet wet.
12) It is truly hard to be happy without making a fool of oneself.
13) Diego Della Valle: Dignity. Duty. Fun.
14) No reason to stay is a good reason to go.
15) Nostalgia is the shelter of the corny. The best, tomorrow. Always.
16) Better without drama, thanks.
17) Julia Child: Everything in moderation, including moderation.
18) If you don’t know, ask.
19) You need to go, find what you want, and pay the bill. Things don’t come by themselves.
20) You either do things well, or you don’t.
21) Loyalty (to a woman, a friend, an idea) is nonnegotiable. The end of that path is betraying yourself.
22) To live is to lose things. Don’t get to attached to them.
23) Anything that comes before the ‘but’ doesn’t matter.
24) No excuses, please.
25) Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The whole world steps back when it sees a man who knows where he is going.
26) Two things define you: your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything.
27) Trust everyone, but always cut the deck.
28) Dwight D. Eisenhower: Plans are nothing; planning is everything.
29) If you don’t believe, nobody will do so for you.
And the last one, from my own collection:
30) JFK: If not us, who? If not now, when?
Hope there’s something within the list that struck a chord with you!